Chapter 14 Building Industry Regulation Introduction
This chapter provides a broad overview of the building industry regulation in the various states and territories of Australia. As the regulatory framework for each state and territory varies significantly, the focus of each section is on the main regulatory issues that arise for a given jurisdiction. There are also differences in requirements depending on whether the relevant work is classified as domestic or commercial.
The main objectives of the regulatory framework are to:
- provide standards for the construction and maintenance of buildings;
- ensure home owners have adequate contractual protection when undertaking building works;
- protect (through compulsory insurance schemes) home owners against financial loss;
- regulate building practices and in relevant states promote a licensing or permit system; and
- manage the resolution of disputes.
Click on the link for a state or territory in the menu on the left to find out more.